CUT & REWORK
Look no further than Instagram, and you'd find the top street style stars are wearing and you'd know that brands such as RE/DONE and Vetements are all about REWORK. Taking what's old (and over-stocked) and changing it up will give it LIFE. For this edition, we're taking boxy and oversized sweatshirts and t-shirts, giving it a facelift. All you need is a pair of scissors, but, you can go that extra mile by adding grommets and laces. I would suggest that you gather some ideas and decide what look or combinations of look before you get too scissor-happy. Once you start snipping, there's no turning back! For this project, I will be using grommets and laces, and showing Olivia how to make one awesome pull-over.
What you need: scissors, ribbons, and grommet tool, chalk for marking
1. Lay your sweatshirt/t-shirt flat and inside out on a table, mark with chalk where you want to cut. For this project, I went for deep V front and back.
2. Before you start cutting, make sure that the seems and darts match to prevent any irregular shape. Of course, feel free to make it irregular purposely too! Start cutting.
3. Once you are finished cutting, perhaps have a friend try on for you so you can fix and uneveness. It may also give you ideas to do more to your sweatshirt.
4. Once you're happy, lay flat again, and lay out your grommets. mark it with the chalk, or use a sharp tool to poke a hole through. It doesn't have to be any bigger than just a small hole.
5. Use your grommet tool. Make sure that it is aligned properly before you start hammering away! Use with caution!
6. Lace up and it's all done!
This article was originally published in The Closeteur. For more stories like this, pick up The Closeteur issue 9, on newsstands and available for digital download